Our cell phones maintain a lot of our lives. We use them to organise social occasions, remind us to go to appointments and even pay for our purchasing. But when your cellphone is stolen or will get misplaced, it’s going to have a big effect in your life – except you realize what to do.
In case your cellphone is stolen, the thief will most likely wipe it to promote it as quick as attainable and your information gained’t be used. Nonetheless, there’s an opportunity they could attempt to hack into your accounts.
Under, we clarify the steps you’ll want to take earlier than and after your cellphone is stolen, plus present you 5 methods to toughen up your cellphone’s safety.
Earlier than your cellphone is stolen
The police and cellphone suppliers will seemingly ask on your cellphone’s IMEI particulars in case you report it stolen. The IMEI will determine your actual cellphone and the police can use it to examine if it finally ends up on sale anyplace.
- To seek out your IMEI quantity on Android, dial*#06#.
- To seek out your IMEI quantity on iPhone, go to Settings > Basic > About and scroll down.
Subsequent, if you have not already arrange a Discover My Cellphone service in your cellphone, you’ll want to do that proper now. As soon as it is executed, it is possible for you to to just about management your cellphone and cease your information falling into the improper fingers. Your future self will thanks for it.
How you can monitor an iPhone – Discover My iPhone
To arrange Discover my iPhone when you have your cell on you, observe these steps:
- Head to Settings > Title > Discover My > Discover My iPhone.
- Choose Discover My iPhone.
- Select Discover My community. You may also choose Ship Final Location to ship the cellphone’s final location to Apple if its battery is low.
To make use of Discover My iPhone from a pc, go to or Apple’s Discover My app. Log in together with your Apple ID. You’ll want your cellphone to be related to the web and turned on to hyperlink as much as it, so discover it rapidly as a thief may flip it off.
On Discover My iPhone, you may take plenty of steps to guard your cellphone’s information. You’ll be able to find it, safe it in Misplaced Mode, add a restoration message to the display screen, make it play sounds (even when it’s on silent mode), and erase all of your information. Word that in case you erase your information, you gained’t be capable to find the gadget anymore.
How you can monitor a Samsung cellphone – Discover My Cellular
To arrange Discover my Cellular when you have your cellphone on you, observe these steps:
- Log into Samsung account > Settings.
- Choose both Biometrics and safety or Lock display screen and safety or Safety.
- Go to Discover My Cellular and switch it from Off to On.
- Choose Distant unlock > Ship final location.
- Activate Offline discovering to probably find your gadget when it’s offline.
To make use of Samsung’s Discover My Cellular, go to and signal into your Samsung account. Right here, you may find and lock your gadget, add a restoration message to the display screen, make it play sounds (even when it’s on silent), forestall energy off, monitor its location each quarter-hour, prolong battery life and erase all of your information (erasing will cease you with the ability to discover it).
In case your lacking cellphone has been turned off, you may set an alert to inform you if it’s related to a community later.
How you can monitor an Android cellphone – Discover My Gadget
To arrange Discover My Gadget when you have your cellphone on you, observe these steps:
- Go to Settings > Safety or Safety & location or Google > Safety.
- Choose Discover My Gadget and switch it on.
- Go to Location: Settings > Location and switch it on.
- Go to > Visibility and choose your gadget.
You’ll be able to find your cellphone, lock it, add a restoration message, make it play sounds (even when it’s on silent) and erase all of your information (though you’ll now not be capable to find the cellphone). When you discover it later, you’ll want your Google Account password to make use of it once more.
Earlier than your cellphone is stolen: 4 methods to tighten up your safety
1. Use sturdy passwords
Use a robust passcode to unlock your cellphone and powerful passwords on your accounts – make them lengthy and use a combination of characters. Establishing face or fingerprint recognition means fewer passwords to recollect.
By teaming up with a dependable password supervisor, you may safely retailer all of your passwords for various accounts, or share information with trusted family and friends.
2. Password-lock notes
When you’re protecting notes in your cellphone with private info in them, you may lock them with a password.
3. Arrange computerized backups
This prevents you dropping your information in case your cellphone goes lacking. Most cell phone producers have free computerized backups, equivalent to iCloud or Samsung Cloud, however you might need to pay in case you want more room. You could possibly additionally again as much as one other gadget equivalent to a laptop computer, an SD card or an exterior onerous drive.
4. Register your cell phone on immobilise.com
What to do in case your cellphone is stolen
As quickly as you realise your cellphone has gone, you’ll want to observe these steps to assist forestall your information from falling into the improper fingers:
- Discover My Cellphone – use the suitable service to find and management your cellphone.
- Report your stolen cellphone to the police – Contact your native police station in particular person or dial 101. Ring in case you want help from a skilled adviser. When you find your cellphone utilizing Discover My Cellphone, don’t confront the thief your self, because it places your security in danger. Give the data to the police as a substitute.
- Inform your community supplier – Cancel your cellphone Sim so nobody can use your cell to make calls, ship texts or log on. You could be chargeable for any payments which might be racked up by a thief when you’ve got a contract – negotiate together with your community to attempt to scale back the invoice. Some networks will cap the costs at £100 in case you report your cellphone misplaced inside 24 hours, and most can ship a substitute Sim. In case you have a fixed-term contract, you gained’t be capable to cancel it with out penalties.
- Shield your financial institution accounts – When you use cell banking, inform your financial institution that your cellphone is lacking. It would droop your cell banking app and suggest you modify your passwords. Don’t overlook about any financial institution playing cards you’ve gotten saved for cell funds.
- Change essential passwords – At a minimal, change the passwords on your emails and your Apple, Google or Samsung account. You should use a password supervisor equivalent to LastPass or Dashlane that can assist you handle all of your account particulars.
- Take away your cellphone as a trusted gadget – You’ll want to do that if it was beforehand enabled for two-factor authentication (2FA).
Preserve studying to search out out whether or not you need to take into account taking out cellphone insurance coverage, plus our knowledgeable recommendations on how one can tighten up your cellphone’s safety to guard your information.
Is cellphone insurance coverage price it?
In case you have an costly cellphone, it could possibly be price taking out an insurance coverage coverage to cowl the price ought to the worst occur. However double-check it’s not already lined – for example, underneath a guaranty from the retailer, as a part of your own home contents insurance coverage, and even as a perk out of your bank card.
You’ll be able to cowl your cellphone at an affordable value via private possessions insurance coverage. The draw back is that your premium may go up in case you declare, however we suggest renegotiating together with your supplier if this occurs.
These insurance policies may require you to insure it inside a sure time interval, and a few claims gained’t be legitimate except you’ve gotten Discover My Cellphone providers enabled.
Join Which? Tech Help
- One-to-one help from our pleasant Tech Help workforce, prepared to answer limitless member queries.
- The UK’s largest computing and know-how title, Which? Computing, revealed six instances a 12 months.
- Straightforward, jargon-free recommendation so you may take advantage of your pill, laptop computer or smartphone.
Extra reporting by Tom Morgan.