BOSTON — The Patriots will face a well-known foe as they search their first win of the season on Sunday, with a go to to the Pittsburgh Steelers on faucet for Week 2.
As soon as a yearly staple on the schedule, this would be the first time that the Patriots and the Steelers will play since 2019. It is New England’s first go to to Pittsburgh since 2018.
“I am unable to keep in mind the final time we have gone three years with out taking part in the Steelers,” Invoice Belichick stated Wednesday. “Often a workforce we play yearly.”
This time round, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger is not going to be quarterbacking their respective groups. As a substitute, we’ll see Mac Jones (hopefully) and Mitch Trubisky underneath middle. Fairly the distinction.
This is all it is advisable to know to prepare for the Week 2 tilt.
Week 2 Notes
- Sunday is the thirty fourth assembly between the Patriots and the Steelers. Pittsburgh leads the common season sequence 15-13, although the Patriots are 5-1 of their final six common season matchups.
- New England has the sting when it actually counts, sporting a 4-1 postseason document in opposition to Pittsburgh.
- The Patriots are 8-11 in highway video games in Pittsburgh within the common season, together with 4-3 on the newly named Acrisure Stadium — previously often known as Heinz Subject. (Once more, the Pats win when it issues, going 2-0 in Pittsburgh in AFC title video games.)
- Sunday is the primary time the Patriots will play the Steelers for the reason that 2019 opener, when New England gained 33-3 at Gillette Stadium.
- The final time the Patriots performed in Pittsburgh was Dec. 16, 2018, after they misplaced 17-10. That was the workforce’s remaining loss that season, as New England went on to win Tremendous Bowl LIII just a few months later.
- Invoice Belichick is 15-12 in opposition to Pittsburgh all through his profession, however touts a 12-4 document in opposition to the Steelers with New England. Mike Tomlin is simply 3-8 in opposition to the Patriots.
- Sunday would be the five hundredth sport of the Robert Kraft period in New England. The Patriots have 341 wins and a .683 profitable share since Kraft purchased the workforce.
- Matthew Judon racked up a career-best 4 QB hits in opposition to the Dolphins in Week 1. If he does that once more at any level this season, he’ll be a part of Roosevelt Colvin (3 occasions in 2006), Andre Carter (twice in 2011), Chandler Jones (twice in 2015) and Trey Flowers (twice in 2018) as the one Patriots gamers with not less than 4 quarterback hits in two video games in the identical season.
- Devin McCourty has performed 189 video games with the Patriots and is presently tied with Tedy Bruschi for the ninth-most in workforce historical past. The veteran security will bump Bruschi down the listing when Sunday’s sport kicks off.
- Mac Jones moved into eighth place on the Patriots all-time passing listing final weekend with 4,014 profession passing yards. He wants 263 passing yards to maneuver previous Hugh Millen (4,276) into seventh place.
- The Steelers have a pair of gamers who as soon as known as New England residence. Defensive sort out Montravius Adams, who signed with the Pats in 2021 however was launched earlier than season, singed with the Steelers final season after being waived by the New Orleans Saints. Return man Gunner Olszewski, who had a 20-yard punt return in his Pittsburgh debut final weekend, spent three years with the Patriots after signing as an undrafted free agent in 2019.
- Longtime New England assistant and defensive coach Brian Flores, who spent 15 years with the Patriots, is now a senior defensive assistant and the linebackers coach in Pittsburgh.
- Patriots backup QB Brian Hoyer signed with the Steelers on Nov. 20, 2012 after being lower by the Patriots in August. He backed up Charlie Batch (an harm alternative after Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich each went down) for 2 weeks however was launched on Dec. 8, 2012.
Tune in to Patriots-Steelers Sunday afternoon on WBZ-TV — your tv residence of the New England Patriots! Protection begins Wednesday evening with Patriots 1st Down at 9:30 p.m. on TV38, and continues Friday with Patriots All Entry at 7 p.m. on WBZ-TV. Sunday’s protection kicks off at 11:30 a.m. with Patriots GameDay, the Pats and the Steelers get underway at 1 p.m., and after the sport tune in to Patriots fifth Quarter over on TV38!